|Rice Congee Recipe |
Ground Turkey with Vegetables and Black Bean Sauce
Many adopted Chinese children are accustomed to eating congee. This recipe was a favorite of our little Lauren's during her early months with us. -Adele
Serves a family of four.
Ingredients: Ground turkey, rice, carrots, mushrooms, Chinese Napa Vegetable (or Chinese bok choy), ginger, green onion, black bean garlic sauce, bouillon cube (chicken or beef). The black bean garlic sauce can be found in most Chinese grocery stores. I use Lee Kum Kee brand, but any brand will be fine.
(1) Cook 1 and 1/2 cups of rice with 5 cups of water. After the water boils, turn the heat to low. Let it cook slowly for about 15 to 20 minutes.
(2) Fry 1/2 pound ground turkey in the pan until it is cooked.
(3) Heat 10 cups of water with one Bouillon cube (chicken or beef). Mince a little piece of fresh ginger into fine pieces and add to the soup. When the water boils, add the cooked ground turkey.
(4) Add 3/4 tablespoon of the black bean garlic sauce to the soup. If only adults are eating the soup, you can add a full tablespoon.
(4) Cut some carrots into small pieces. Add them to the soup.
(5) Add the cooked rice to the soup. At this point, the soup can be called "congee.” Let the congee cook for 5 minutes before adding other vegetables.
(5) Cut some fresh mushrooms into small pieces. Add them to the congee. Let the congee cook for 3 minutes before adding other vegetables.
(6) Cut the Chinese Napa Vegetable or Chinese bok choy into small pieces. Add them to the congee. Cook for another 5 minutes.
(7) Add salt as needed , or any other spices as you like. Add chopped green onions and cook the congee for 2 minutes.
(8) Serve the congee while it is hot!
Happy Congee-Cooking! -Adele
Hear & Learn Poems - Free!
Children like to memorize these famous poems, and learning a poem is a great way to remember Chinese words.
Need Assistance with our Services or Products?
Call Adele (210) 262-9305
Email Adele at email@example.com